As we approach the first NHL Expansion since 2000 there are some important details that you need to know before the Vegas Golden Knights begin selecting players from existing hockey clubs.
As there are so many options of players to chose from it leaves little time in which Vegas has in building it’s club.
Existing clubs typically have a 23 man roster in any given season. The expansion draft will be over of span of two days so the Vegas franchise has to be smart and wise in their selection.
Before the draft, all 30 teams from around the league will to submit their protected to the NHL by 5:00 P.M. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017.
This protected list is as follows:
The league has given clubs two options in which their roster players are protected.
Option 1: Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender
Option 2: Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender
Below is the rules set by league that makes a player eligible for protection:
Eligible players with their current club must have an active “No Movement” clause when the expansion draft begins.
Players who are in their first and second year in the NHL along with unsigned draft choices are exempted from the selection process.
Players who are exposed for selection:
Every club has to meet the criteria minimum requirements of exposed players for the 2017 expansion draft.
- 1 Defenseman that is currently under contract for the 2017-2018 season with 40 or more total games played in the previous season or has played 70 plus games to their credit over the span from the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 season.
- 2 Forwards who are currently contracted for the 2017-2018 season with 40 or more total games played in the previous season or has played 70 plus games to their credit over the the span from the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 season.
- 1 Goaltender that has a contract for the 2017-2018 season or who is set to become a restricted free agent prior to the 2017-2018 season. The catch here is, if that goaltenders team exercises the option of allowing that player to become available he must meet the minimum requirements by a qualifying offer. His qualifying offer has to be submitted prior to the deadline of the teams protected list.
- If a player(s) that has a career ending injuries of whom have missed over 60 games consecutively are not authorized by any means in meeting the league requirements for exposure. However the league may approve it but only on a case by case basis.
This process in scheduled to take place on June 18-20. After the selections have be made the Vegas hockey club has to report back to NHL of who they are taking for the 30 teams.
At the expansion draft, the Vegas hockey club will have it’s challenges in that they will need to have selected at the league minimum 20 players to ice for 2017-2018 season.
- However, the team can select more the 20 players but will need to pick up the following players in their respective positions, 14 forwards, 9 defensemen, and three goaltenders.
- Vegas must select players that have an aggregate Expansion Draft value of 60-100% of the prior season’s upper limit for the salary cap.
- Buy out options are not authorized by the Vegas franchise until after the teams first season.
Here’s an active list of current players that are exempt:
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Los Angeles Kings
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs