Las Vegas–On the eve for the 2018 NHL Trade Deadline, the Vegas Golden Knights have been identified as a serious contender in acquiring Ottawa Senators Captain Erik Karlsson.
Earlier today, TSN’s Resident Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie confirmed on Trade Centre that the Vegas Golden Knights along with the Tampa Bay Lightning, Nashville Predators, and San Jose Sharks as having established firm dialogue with Senators General Manager Pierre Dorion on the availability of Karlsson’s services.
McKenzie did mentioned that there are some mystery teams also in talks with Dorion on their prospective interest in defenseman Karlsson.
For the Golden Knights one thing is clear is that General Manager George McPhee is trying to soften a potential deal in not throwing into the equation by dangling prospects Cody Glass, Nick Suzuki, or Erik Brannstrom. This something in which McKenzie talked about on the panel from today’s show on TSN.
Those players are the future of the franchise going forward after they move on from their inaugural season era.
TSN’s Trade Centre panel mentioned that there is a 49% chance that Karlsson could be on the move during the 2018 NHL Trade Deadline and a 51% where he stays put with the Senators.
What McPhee does has in his back pocket is a stockpile of picks he acquired during the Vegas Draft last summer and as well as over the course of the regular season which is 29 total (2018-2020).
The Golden Knights also have the cap space to facilitate a move if there is one to be made on deadline day. According to CapFriendly.com, Vegas has $7,368,595 of available space to use.
As it stands now with Karlsson’s contract he has two years remaining and a cap hit of $6.5 million per season.
Next year the Golden Knights have $33,125,000 of spending cap which does not include the potential $3 to $7 million increase that was reported earlier in the season for the 2018-19 campaign that GM’s around the league could use on players.
Karlsson would be an added addition for the Golden Knights blueline in terms of being the point man on the quarterback as he currently has 29 PPG’s and 163 PPA’s with the Ottawa Senators over the course of his career.
If that happens to go down, Erik will be the second player on the roster to don the last name along with the team top goal scorer in William Karlsson.
What has also been reported that according to league source familiar with the particulars of the story made PostMedia aware that Golden Knights could take on Bobby Ryan‘s contract as well which makes Vegas a very high possible landing destination for both players.
With Ryan, he knows the Pacific Division and Western Conference very well when he was a member of the Anaheim Ducks.
It will be interesting to how the Karlsson sweepstakes plays out on deadline day with the Golden Knights on the road in Los Angeles to take on the Kings in their brief home at home series..